Please visit the KHSD Parent Portal for information that can help parents and students
KHSD does offer Parent Centers on many of our comprehensive school sites. Contact information is below:
- Golden Valley
- Mira Monte
Parent Education Liaison (PEL): This position promotes communication between parents and the district for the purpose of increasing parent and family involvement and supporting student achievement, with an emphasis on the EL learner and his/her parent(s). The PEL helps parents understand school programs, educational offerings, how to advocate for their children, and how they can become more involved in their children’s education. The PEL also serves as staff liaison to the District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC) and the District Parent Advisory Committee (DPAC).
The PEL also works closely with Title I, EL, and Migrant Program coordinators at each one of the sites providing support and assistance in the development of Parent Education Programs. DELAC is comprised of representatives from each school’s English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC). DELAC’s role is to advise the district on programs and services for English Learner students. DELAC provides a place where information is shared regarding programs, new initiatives, and other current issues of importance to the education of English learners.
DPAC members are a liaison to informing parents about school activities, school programs, community events, and encouraging parent participation. They also serve as advisory council to the school district. DPAC members certify the district’s Consolidated Application and are involved in the revision of the Local Education Agency Plan.
KHSD Focus Areas and Goals
KHSD will strive to assist families with parenting skills, family support, understanding child and adolescent development, and setting home conditions to support learning at each age and grade level. KHSD will work with community partners to assist schools in understanding families’ backgrounds, cultures, and goals for students
KHSD will communicate with families about school programs and student progress. Create two-way communication channels between school and home.
KHSD will strive to improve recruitment, training, activities, and schedules to involve families as volunteers and as audiences at the school or in other locations. Enable educators to work with volunteers who support students and the school.
Learning at Home
KHSD will always strive to involve families with their student in academic learning at home, including homework, project-based learning, goal setting, and other curriculum-related activities. KHSD will encourage teachers to design homework that enables students to share and discuss interesting tasks.
KHSD will include families as participants in school decisions, governance, and advocacy activities through school councils or improvement teams, committees, and parent organizations.
Collaboration/Partnerships with the Community
KHSD will focus on coordination of services, leveraging of existing district and community resources/partnerships, and alignments of systems to benefit students and families. KHSD will coordinate resources and services for families, students, and the school with community groups, including businesses, agencies, cultural and civic organizations, and colleges or universities. Enable all to contribute service to the community.
These CORE VALUES shape our KHSD commitment to engage families as partners:
- Families are the first and most influential teachers of their children. Respecting and welcoming all families into the school community supports the academic achievement of all students.
- KHSD welcomes families as advocates for their children’s success. We know that some students have been underserved, and we are committed to welcoming families as partners in their children’s education.
- Student achievement is supported by positive relationships among students, staff and families, and by engaging all members of the school community to resolve conflict, repair harm and prevent punitive discipline.
- Engaging families across the diversity of our student population requires intentional actions, to build understanding and inclusion for all ethnicities, languages, socioeconomic backgrounds and family structures.
- Collaborative leadership and shared decision-making strengthens our schools and improves our services to students and their families.
- Providing families with access to information, community resources and support services is essential to supporting student success.
- Engaging families is a shared responsibility. KHSD holds ourselves accountable to lead and support collaborative efforts with community partners to engage and empower our students’ families.
KHSD Focus on Parent/Family and Community Engagement
- Supporting strong relationships: KHSD Schools welcome and respect families, build community among diverse family populations, and actively engage family members to resolve conflicts and repair harm.
- Facilitating two-way communication: KHSD Schools actively reach out to hear from families. Communication processes are clear to families and encourage a mutual exchange of information and perspectives.
- Linking to learning: Families are encouraged and supported to be involved in their children’s learning at home and at school
- Valuing diversity: KHSD Schools respect and affirm the value of students’ diverse cultures, backgrounds and family structures. KHSD School site and district staff demonstrate and promote cultural competence.
- Speaking up for every student: Families are empowered to be advocates for their own and other children, to ensure that students are treated fairly and have equitable access to learning opportunities.
- Sharing power and decision-making: Families are encouraged and empowered to participate in formal and informal structures for making decisions about their children, schools, and the KHSD.
- Connecting families to community resources: KHSD Schools helps family’s access useful community resources and services.